Douglas Adams is the best when it comes to describe characters
they need to teach classes on Douglas Adams analogies okay
“He leant tensely against the corridor wall and frowned like a man trying to unbend a corkscrew by telekinesis.”
"Stones, then rocks, then boulders which pranced past him like clumsy puppies, only much, much bigger, much, much harder and heavier, and almost infinitely more likely to kill you if they fell on you.”
"He gazed keenly into the distance and looked as if he would quite like the wind to blow his hair back dramatically at that point, but the wind was busy fooling around with some leaves a little way off.”
"It looked only partly like a spaceship with guidance fins, rocket engines and escape hatches and so on, and a great deal like a small upended Italian bistro.”
"If it was an emotion, it was a totally emotionless one. It was hatred, implacable hatred. It was cold, not like ice is cold, but like a wall is cold. It was impersonal, not as a randomly flung fist in a crowd is impersonal, but like a computer-issued parking summons is impersonal. And it was deadly - again, not like a bullet or a knife is deadly, but like a brick wall across a motorway is deadly.”
No CGI. It’s all practical work. Sploosh.
Don’t need no computers for magic to work! Yeahhh! Awesome!
this is the coolest thing…
why would she sell sea shells by a sea shore when you can just pick them off of the ground for free that’s not how you run a business
She’s sold sea shells by the seashore since shapely seashore seashells stay scarce. Since she sells superior shells searchers spend centuries searching for, seldom selling simple shells, so she still sustains solid savings.
I couldn’t even read that in my head
Astronomers have discovered the largest known structure in the universe, a clump of active galactic cores that stretch 4 billion light-years from end to end. The structure is a light quasar group (LQG), a collection of extremely luminous Galactic Nulcei powered by supermassive central black holes.
So that’s cool and everything, but maybe some of you would be interested to know why this is a significant find? Beyond just its record-setting bigness.
Since Einstein, physicists have accepted something called the Cosmological Principle, which states that the universe looks the same everywhere if you view it on a large enough scale. You might find some weird shit over here, and some other freaky shit over there, but if you pull back the camera far enough, you’ll find that same weird and/or freaky shit cropping up over and over again in a fairly regular distribution. This is because the universe is (probably) infinite in size and (we are pretty darn sure) has, and has always had, the same forces acting on it everywhere.
So why is this new LQG so radical? (It stands for ‘Large Quasar Group,’ btw, not ‘Light Quasar Group.’)
Well, let’s try to comprehend the scale we’re dealing with. A ‘megaparsec,’ written Mpc, is about 3.2 million light years long. The Milky Way is about 0.03 Mpc across (or 100,000 light years). The distance between our galaxy and Andromeda, our closest galactic neighbor, is 0.75 Mpc, or 2.5 million light years. LQGs are usually about 200 Mpc across. Assuming a logarithmic distribution of weird shit outliers (if you don’t know how logarithmic distribution curves work, don’t worry about it), cosmologists predicted that nothing in the universe should be more than 370 Mpc across.
This new LQG is 1200 Mpc long. That’s four billion light years. Four BILLION LIGHT YEARS. Just to travel from one side to the other of this one thing. I mean for fuck’s sake, the universe is only about 14 billion years old! How many of these things could there be?
Right now it looks like the Cosmological Principle might be out the window, unless physicists can find some way to make the existence of this new LQG work with the math (and boy, are they trying). And that’s totally baffling. It would mean—well, we don’t have any idea what it would mean. That the universe isn’t essentially uniform? That some ‘special’ physics apply/applied in some places but not in others? That Something Happened that is totally outside our current ability to understand or quantify stuff happening?
By the way, no one lives there. The radiation from so many quasars would sterilize rock.
are you telling us astronomers have discovered something which is literally fucktuple the size of anything else previously estimated to exist
Anything that fucking rewrites all of what we know about the universe needs to get its ass on my blog. It’s giant, glowy, black hole filled ass.
ok, this is my rarity cosplay and here’s an explanation of why i’m pretty much done cosplaying as ponies
- i was hanging out with a group of homestucks, and we were just having fun just talking and some guy with one of those kandi face mask things (the beads?? i think that’s the name) came up, gave me a hug without my permission, and tried to kiss my cheek
- i was hanging out with a friend of a friend and i was complaining about being sexually harassed, and he said “out of all the ponies to cosplay as, you chose rarity. you’re asking for it.” needless to say, i left as fast as i could. i didn’t even care about being all alone, i didn’t want to be near someone saying that i was asking for sexual harassment
- i was hanging out with my friends natalie and christen and some guy came up to me and grabbed my hands and expressed his love to me (note i don’t know him and he was most likely drunk) and his friend (probably the driver i guess) had to drag him away.
- the same guy in number two found me when i was about to go down the stairs when my friend christen was halfway down them, he hugged me without my permission and started taking me with him. i was screaming out for help and his friends quickly took him away so he wouldn’t get in trouble
so yeah, if anyone ever asks me why i hate the brony fandom, i will direct them to this post. i know people have had a lot worse harassment, but any form of sexual harassment is not ok.
it’s been about a year since this happened to me and since then i have seen people
- sexually harass me more because of it
- say i was asking for it
- say i should expect things like this to happen to me just because i’m female
- say i was trying to make those boys seem worse than they are
- say the brony fandom isn’t all that bad
- say sexual harassment is a form of affection
- say to suck it up and take all of what i said back
first of all, if you defend a fandom before you defend a person, that’s where you know you’re in the wrong. second of all, i did not make up ANY of these situations, and all but one of them people can say that what i said is true. thirdly, no one is asking for it EVER!!!!!!!!!! i don’t understand why people don’t understand that simple concept like oh my gosh. and finally, if you decide to say “give us some rarity love” once you read this post, you can go fuck yourself because no one else ever will